The news on New Year’s Day always includes stories of the first babies to be born in the New Year. Announcing babies born on the 1st of the year is popular as the New Year symbolizes a fresh start and rebirth. The Dayton Daily News collection has photos and stories of New Year babies as far back as 1940. The paper published birth announcements from hospitals all over the Miami Valley. The first child born after midnight received a photo spread and detailed paragraph in the paper. Please enjoy the January 1st bundles-of-joy pictured below.
Search this Blog
ASK A QUESTION
For all inquiries, please use our Research Request Form, and an archivist will respond to you soon. Thanks!
For more information about our collections and services, please visit our main web site at:
Subscribe to Blog via EmailReceive an email notification when a new post is available.
- Completed Digitization Project: Katharine Wright Haskell Letters
- November/December Holiday Closures
- SCA Featured in Society of Ohio Archivists’ Archives Month Spotlight
- Join us at Wright Brothers Day on October 5!
- Support Special Collections & Archives on Wright Day to Give (Oct 3)
- New Collections Available for Research, July 2023
- New Digital Collection: Katharine Wright Haskell Letters
- New Exhibit: Spies & Superheroes
- Archives Featured in Oakwood Register
- Grant Conserves Rare Books by Paul Laurence Dunbar