American Archives Month, which started in 2006, provides the opportunity for Archives like SC&A to raise awareness of what we do and to share our collections and services with the wider community. Here at Wright State University we provide access to students, faculty, and staff as well as the general public. SC&A collects and preserves materials related to the Wright Brothers, aviation (both commercial and military), Wright State, and the history and people of the Miami Valley. Our collections date from the early 1800s and into the 21st century. If you have an interest in local history, aviation, genealogy, University history, or just want to see neat stuff, please stop by our reading room or visit Special Collections & Archives.
To celebrate Archives Month 2019 we have have come up with five “fun” activities to connect you with our collections and staff. Here they are in no particular order.
1. Stop by Dunbar Library to browse our exhibits on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th floors and then visit the Archives. We are a partner on the Aviation Trail, so be sure to bring in your Wilbear passport to get a stamp!
2. Join us at the inaugural Festival of Flight on October 5th and stop by the SC&A table. We’ll have a new exhibit, aviation film footage, games, bookmarks, and much more.
3. Take a behind the scenes tour of SC&A. Staff will be holding tours on October 10 from 12-1pm and October 30 from 10-11am to provide an opportunity for visitors to see a display of our materials, including items from the Wright Brothers collection, and walk through our stack area. The tour will last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Please call 937-775-2092 or email [email protected] to reserve a spot.
4. Attend the brown bag workshop on “How to Research World War I and World War II Military Records” on October 16 from 11-12 in Dunbar Library 441. Bill Stolz, Archivist for Reference and Outreach, will provide useful tips and research strategies for navigating military-related print and online resources.
5. Join us October 2 on Twitter when we participate in #AskAnArchivist Day. SC&A staff will share favorite items from the collections and answer questions about the Archives world.
You can stop by the reading room anytime to check out the exhibits, browse our book collection, look at a finding aid, research in a collection, or just say hello. SC&A is open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5pm and Wednesday evenings during the semester until 9pm.