Ivan R. Gates was an Early Bird of Aviation, receiving his pilot’s license in 1911, and is credited with starting the first flying school on the west coast in California. The collection documents Gates’ aviation business enterprises, including the Gates Flying Circus, Gates Flying Service, and the New York-based Gates Aircraft Corporation, which manufactured the Gates Belgian RSV convertible monoplane/biplane. Gates’ wife Hazel was also a pilot. The majority of the collection is contained within 4 scrapbooks (3 of photographs and 1 of newspaper clippings), along with some loose photographs and documents.
Search this Blog
ASK A QUESTION
For all inquiries, please use our Research Request Form, and an archivist will respond to you soon. Thanks!
For more information about our collections and services, please visit our main web site at:
Subscribe to Blog via EmailReceive an email notification when a new post is available.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Welcome, Alexis!
- New Collections Available for Research, October 2022
- CLOSED NOV 11 for Veterans’ Day
- 100 Years Ago in Aviation: Harold Harris Parachute Jump
- New Collection: Louis Lott Architecture Negatives
- New Collections Available for Research, September 2022
- New Special Collections & Archives Web Site
- New Exhibit Honors #Dunbar150
- Grant received to Digitize Local Civil Rights Interview Program Videos
- Juneteenth and Independence Day